Students in these Year levels have three options when purchasing a device:
- Option 1: A Windows laptop recommended by the College supplied through our BYOD partner.
- Option 2: A MacBook recommended by the College supplied through our BYOD partner.
- Option 3: A laptop or MacBook you own, or purchase through an alternative supplier sourced by you.
YEARS 7 TO 12
- 12” screen or larger
- Screen resolution of 1920x1080 or higher
- Intel Core i5 or i7 processor
- 8GB RAM
- 128GB solid state storage (no spinning hard disks)
- 8 hour battery life
- 802.11ac 5Ghz wireless
- Windows 10 / macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra or later
Windows 10 Home or Pro editions only. Windows 10 'S' is not suitable.
All devices made available through the College’s BYOD portal meet these requirements.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
- The College recommends avoiding devices with thin bezels around the screen, such as the Microsoft Surface devices and some of the newer Acer and Lenovo products. Consider the fragility of a device when purchasing, and also consider purchasing a protective clip-on case for the device if you think the device could be easily damaged.
- Students are not permitted to charge devices in classrooms due to potential Workplace Health and Safety issues. As such, you must ensure that the battery in the device can last a minimum of 8 hours. Should students need to charge a device during the day, they can do so during recess and lunchtime at charging points in the Library.
- Families are urged to avoid the re-use of MacBook Pros from recently graduated Year 12 students, as a number of families have enquired about using these devices. These devices do not meet the minimum requirements as specified above (in particular battery life, hard disk and RAM).
SPECIALIST SUBJECT CONSIDERATIONS
Students studying Media, Photography and/or 3D Animation may wish to consider a more powerful device. While the device specifications above will operate all software required for all subjects, the aforementioned specialist subjects utilise software that can perform better on devices with higher specifications.
For students studying Media, Photography and/or 3D Animation, consider these specifications in addition to the above:
- 16GB RAM
- 256GB solid-state storage
- Discrete graphics processor (such as a nVidia or AMD graphics chipset)
Purchasing a Device
We recommend purchasing your device through the College's BYOD portal, however you are free to purchase a device from wherever you choose provided it meets the requirements set out above.
When ordering through the BYOD portal, devices must be ordered by Friday 9 November, 2018 to ensure readiness for pickup prior to Christmas. Orders made by Friday 21 December, 2018 will be ready for pickup prior to the start of the 2019 school year. Orders made after Friday 21 December may not arrive in time for the start of the 2019 school year.
Tatachilla selects a BYOD partner annually to provide families with the best possible pricing on devices pre-selected and approved by the ICT Services team. All devices available on the BYOD portal meet the minimum requirements for learning at the College, and will be delivered to your home pre-configured and ready for use at school on Day 1 of Term 1.
If you choose to purchase a device from elsewhere, you must make a booking with our ICT Services team in January 2019 to have the device configured for use at the College.
The ICT Services team is available to assist and can be contacted via e-mail (email@example.com) or telephone: +61 8 8329 4466. ICT Services is open from 8am to 5pm during school terms, and 9am to 4pm during school holidays.