Windows Live Family Safety
The Family Safety Filter is a free, downloadable program that has been installed on your child's 1:1 Laptop. It tracks and blocks website access and certain other online activities.
With Windows Live Family Safety, you can help protect your children by limiting the websites they can view and the people they can contact using Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Hotmail, and Windows Live Spaces. You can also restrict the time they can spend on the computer, the games they can play, and the programs they can use. You'll have more control over what your children are doing online, without having to peer over their shoulders.
Family Safety has two parts that work together to help you create, manage, and enforce online safety rules for your family:
- The Family Safety website is where you go to customize settings for each family member, view activity reports, and respond to requests.
- The Family Safety software must be installed on each computer your children use. If the software isn't installed, safety settings can't be enforced.
How do I add a child to Family Safety?
To add an additional child to Family Safety, follow these steps:
- Log on to your computer with a parent or guardian's Windows account.
- Open Family Safety by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Family Safety, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Live Family Safety.
- Enter the Windows Live ID of the parent or guardian, and then click Sign in. if you do not have a windows live account you will have to create one by clicking the ‘Don’t have a Windows Live ID? On the above page. If you've already set up Family Safety on the computer, click Add or manage family members on this computer and sign in using a parent or guardian's Windows Live ID.
- Select the check box next to each Windows account you want to monitor.
- If your child doesn't have their own Windows account, click Create a new standard Windows account , enter your child's name, and then click Create account. The new account appears in the Standard Windows accounts list, and is selected for monitoring.
- If you're already using Family Safety, click Next, and then make sure each account listed under Windows accounts matches the correct Family Safety name under Family Safety members. If an account for the child doesn't exist in Family Safety, click Add (name) from the drop down menu.
- Click Save.
For further information and assistance on using this resource please click the link below
Parental Control Accounts
To enable parental controls on an account, you will need to set the account as “Managed with Parental Controls.” This will allow you to easily configure the account with the capabilities and limitations that you want.
- Open up System Preferences and go to “Users & Groups”
- Click on the account you wish to manage, make sure that “Enable Parental Controls” is checked
Below is a list of some of the restrictions you may wish to use
- Limit Applications
Within the Apps tab, you have the ability to limit the Apps used as well as limit whether or not the Dock can be modified by the specific account. The “Limit Applications” tab shows a scrolling menu of all apps installed, you can go through and check the applications you would like your child to have access to and you can also filter apps via “age restriction” on all App Store Apps.
- Website Restrictions
Website Restrictions is by default set to “Try to limit access to adult websites,” you can also customize this feature to allow or block other sites. There is a window that allows access to only the websites entered. You can view logs and look at the sites your children visit and have been visiting by clicking on the “logs…” button in the lower right corner.
- Limit Chat & Email
Inputting users emails and usernames into the “Allowed Contacts” window is all you need to do .There is also an option to “Send permission request” which will allow you to receive an email when your children try to attempt to send an email to a contact not approved on the list. Again, you can view the Logs by clicking the button in the lower right corner.
Time Limits tab
This feature allows you to control time according to weekdays, weekends and even allows you to disable the account during bedtime hours.
The Other Tab helps to set limitations on printers, CD and DVD burning, changing passwords and hiding profanity in Dictionary.
For further information and assistance on using this resource please click the link below: